Wednesday, March 23, 2011

#10- Yellow Deli

So, last night after a wonderful yoga class taught by my thankful thing #6 (aka Jessica) Jessica, Carolyne, and I went over to enjoy a post yoga snack at the Yellow Deli next door to our yoga studio, Yoga Vista. After a few hours of chatting, eating and laughing I headed home for the night. I walked into my house tired, full, and contempt for the eveing I slipped into my warm cozy bed and went to sleep. I awoke this morning and thought to myself "self, I don't think you blogged your thankful thing yesterday!" I didn't! So, my apologies on yet another late post. I'm new to the blogging world and especially making a post a day, so please forgive me as I still grow accustomed to this new part of my life. I promise I'll have it down by #364! ;) This one's for Tuesday.

I am SO very thankful for the amazing, wonderful, delicious, loving, magical place that is The Yellow Deli! If you have never been to this awesome restaurant in downtown Vista get in your cars and go, right now. :) The yellow deli is an interesting place for sure. It's run by a Christian/Hippie-type commune, some think of them as a sort of cult, others confuse them for Amish, but they really are just a simple, loving, religious commune. They all work together and share every aspect of their lives with each other, they describe themselves as belonging to the religion of the 12 tribes of Israel. Basically they live by the old testament while being Christian. Regardless of their religious, or life, views bottom line is they make some damn good food!  Everything they prepare is fresh, healthy and they offer many vegetarian, organic and gluten free options. They bake all their own breads in house, and most of their produce comes from their own farm out in Valley Center. They are kind people that have spent 5 year building their restaurant from the ground up all by themselves. They make their own clothes, make their own chairs and tables, the mechanics and building itself is a reason to go check this place out alone. It's like walking into a Disney themed restaurant. It's amazing.

I really enjoy their kaiser roll turkey sandwich, or most of their house-made soups (creamy potato, pumpkin, tomato to name a few), their cranberry cashew salad is a must try, as is their wheat sourdough bread steamed with butter (I'm getting hungry), for dessert try the cream cheese pie topped with fresh strawberries, and don't forget the banana milk (a wonderful concoction that blends a banana and some other stuff into ice cold milk, it's delicious). Most also enjoy their hot apple cider, I have yet to try it. But as you can see, it's a wonderful place to eat. I haven't even mentioned their hours! They are open Sunday at noon until Friday at 3pm for 24 hours a day every week. So instead of hitting up that nasty late night dinner full of fried, unhealthy food you can come cozy up in a corner and sip some hot tea while working on your computer or hanging with your friends. Jessica and I frequent there often after our yoga classes and sometimes stay and chat into the wee hours of the morning. (I think 2am is our record).

They also love us over at Yoga Vista. We share a wall with them, and put up with their construction for 5 years. We're the best of neighbors and many of the YV staff and students are regulars with them. They even named a special after our studio! The Yoga Vista Special is a garden veggie burger on vegan kaiser roll with fresh veggies with a side of veggies or mini soup, YUM! We at Yoga Vista love them so much we actually begged them to let us host our holiday party there. They were reluctant since it's not something they typically do but they did it for us. They went SO above and beyond what we had asked or expected I spent the whole evening hugging and thanking any employee I could find.

So I beg you all to take a chance on this wonderful little place, I know you will not be disappointed. You'll instantly love them as all the rest of us do!

No comments:

Post a Comment