Monday, March 21, 2011

#9- My House



As the rain poured down all night and into this morning I just HAD to feel thankful for the roof over my head. I was just laying in my warm bed, listening to the rain come down and thinking about how lucky I am to have a house, a home, that keeps me safe and dry.

Did you know there are on average of 8,500-10,000* homeless people in San Diego County? I couldn't help but think of them last night as the rain was pounding feverishly against my windows. What were they all doing? For the most part San Diego weather is mild and probably one of the better climates to be homeless in compared to most of the country, but last night's storm was a big one, and it made me think about all the poor men, women, kids and animals that didn't have a house or shelter from the rain. We take so much for granted every day, and I think the biggest one is our shelter. Who walks into their house every day and thinks "thank my lucky stars I have a place to call home" Not many I'm sure.

But in all honesty most days I do. I absolutely love my house. It's a small, quaint little town-home in Carlsbad that we rent from our very good friends, it's really my little dream home. It's 2 stories, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 balcony patios, a large kitchen & living room and a 2 car garage (with washer and dryer!) To many in the world this place is a mansion and I like to think of it that way too. I feel more comfortable in my home than anywhere else in the world. I have an office to work out of for my wedding businesses, I have a garage that's been converted into a floral studio, and I have a little front yard  that I grow succulents in (even though it's a no-no with HOA, shhhh). We have a pool & hot tub across the street, and access to an even bigger pool & hot tub in our community center, which happens to sit on top of the hill that below holds Leo Carrillo Park (a free range peacock ranch and historic museum. A really cool site for those who have never been) We're located in Carlsbad, a city I adore. We are actually a little inland from the coast which is perfect for me, it's never too hot but we don't have to worry about those days when the fog never leaves the coast. We get the best of both worlds cool and sunny. Our community is a nice one, people are very kind. We just got a new shopping center around the corner that holds many of my favorite places. Peet's Coffee, Trader Joes, and soon to be a Hendos (a delicious pizza/pasta place that Andy and I drive to San Elijo Hills to eat at right now). I'm even super close to the Floral Trade Center, where I buy all my flowers. (a real luxury compared to many florists that drive 20+ miles to get there) It's a wonderful little community and I really love being a part of it all.

So today I say thank you house, for being a wonderful little place to live. I couldn't be happier to be able to call you my home. I am truly thankful for your solid foundation, 4 strong walls, and peaceful roof over my head.



*If you want to do more for the almost 10,000 homeless in San Diego please visit this website: http://homeagainsd.org/ You can make a donation, volunteer your time, or even just spread the word throughout our community that there are those in need and we can help them every day!

                                           

1 comment: